This article is about setting up your android mobile to connect to internet on proxy wifi networks.
So, why google didn't give an option to set proxy just like apple does in ipods or ipad? Who knows... Here's a work around to make that possible even on Android mobiles.
SO WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THIS POST? READ THIS FIRST!!
1. First of all, you can browse internet, use apps like google maps, facebook, gmail, youtube. Atleast these are the ones that I have tested... And any app which uses either http or https protocols on ports 80 and 443... Might sound technical , never bother ... just try the app and see....
2. You CANNOT use Android market to install apps...But you can still browse all the apps on the market place using an "appbrain" app. More on this quickly...
3. This works even if the proxy has an ntlm type of authorization....
AND WHAT ARE MY REQUIREMENTS TO DO THIS STUFF?
1. Well your phone needs to be rooted. Here is an excellent app UniversalAndroot with which you can root your phone in a single click or unroot otherwise. Give it a try, if it works no problem, or else try googe with phrases such as "how to root mobile model".
2. A one time access to a wifi with direct internet access or your mobile network to download one or two essential apps... This is required only if your proxy uses ntlm authorization, if not there is no need of any internet access on your phone.
LET'S GET STARTED
THIS IS MUST :
- Download the Universal Androot app to root your phone from here. (same as posted above)
- Install the app, run it and then select root. You should see no errors.
- Download this app which sets proxy in your android mobiles.
Transproxy Stable 3.07 here.
Transproxy Beta 3.08 here.
- Install the app, set your proxy settings. Allow the super permissions to this app. Enable authentication and put in your credentials if yours is a basic authentication type. Well, you guys with the basic authentication are done and all you have to do is connect to the wifi , open the trans proxy and turn the proxy on.. It will work if you have set all the things right. Just open your browser and check...... Those with the ntlm authorization, hang on, do not set anything in there yet...
ONLY FOR THOSE WITH NTLM AUTHENTICATION:
- Download this zip file to your pc. ntlmaps.zip. You can download the file from sourceforge but I did tweak the server.cfg file to make things easier. Nothing to do with this yet...
- Download this app... Python for Android r1 . This is the google released Python interpreter for Android and the latest one at the time of this post. Install it. Now you will need internet access on your mobile to finish its installation.. Open it and select install. It downloads two or three files and installs..
Ok, meanwhile you can install AppBrain app from android market while you can still use Android market...
- Download this app... Scripting layer for android r_3 (sl4a). Official google release.... Install it and you are good to go... No more downloads guys... Its almost finished.
THIS IS THE LAST PART:
- Mount your sd card on your pc, open the ntlmaps file you just downloaded and extract all the files in the folder to sdcard/sl4a/scripts. So after this all the files in ntlmaps folder should be present in sdcard/sl4a/scripts/.
- This is the last step... Browse to the folder sdcard/sl4a/scripts on your pc and open the file server.cfg with your notepad.( just drap and drop in your notepad) ... Now enter your proxy details...These are the things you need to change in that...
And then save it as server.cfg file and NOT something like server.cfg.txt...
WE ARE FINISHED HERE GUYS
WHAT TO DO WHEN I CONNECT TO WIFI
1. Open sl4a app and then select main.py from the list of scripts it shows... You should see something like a cmd line running when you open it... just leave it as it is... I mean don't kill the process... It should be left runnig in the background as long as you need internet....
2. Then open Trans proxy app and set the proxy type to 'http' , host to '127.0.0.1' , port to 5865 . Don't select any type of authentication.. And set the proxy to on... And you should leave this also running in the background... I mean don't kill the process using some task manager....
Open your browser, you should see internet running on your mobile.... Well apps like facebook, gmail, youtube should all work except the market place... if you have installed the appbrain app you can still browse the latest apps but cannot install them......
Well, then, if you have any problems, you can post comments here, I will get back to them as frequently as possible.....